Orphanage Director: Mr Stilian Stoichev, 3 Albena Street, Silistra, Bulgaria, 7500
UK Organisers: Bernadette & Douglas Leggett, 83 Winyates, Orton Goldhay, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire PE2 5RG
We would like to thank all sponsors and donor’s who make the children’s lives better!
The orphanage is positioned on a little hill with a beautiful view to the Danube River and consists of two floors. On the first floor there is a spacious dining room, kitchen, store rooms, laundry and the boiler room.
There are 13 children’s bedrooms, teachers’/ supervisors’ room, medical, administration room on the second floor. The children are aged between 6 and 20 years. All the children attend school in Silistra and the older children go to various high and vocational schools in Silistra, depending on their individual needs, skills and inclinations. The Orphanage can accept children with disabilities and special needs.
When we started helping the orphanage in 2008 there were 78 children, 39 boys and 39 girls, aged between 6 and 18. There are now 55 children in the orphanage, some of the children have been adopted and others have moved to different orphanages in Bulgaria.
There have been extensive renovations within the building to accommodate the children aged 18 and above. These children can now stay in the orphanage for a further 2 years whereby they will learn life skills for outside life. We supplied them with 10 computers which were kindly donated from Luminus Group in the UK early this year. These valuable tools will aid them in their search for a better life once they leave the orphanage.
The orphanage was named after a famous Bulgarian poet, Dimcho Debelianov. It is located southwest of the town of Silistra. The orphanage was situated in the village of Sracimir, but on 14.09.1998 it was relocated to the town of Silistra. It is situated in an ex-residency building of Todor Jivkov (the former Bulgarian communist leader). The building has been renovated and adapted according to Standard 19 from the Bulgarian Regulation for the criteria and standards for providing social services to children.
For the benefit of the children, the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science, donated 2 buses with 15 seats each.
These are the Orphanages main goals:
• Providing conditions for abiding/ or observance of the children’ rights with a view to/ or with respect to children protection and raising/ increasing their welfare
• Covering the governmental educational requirements and standards, as well as meeting the criteria for providing social services to children
• Creation of adequate conditions for acquiring abilities/skills and habits, gaining knowledge and behavioural norms
• Preparing children for the life outside the Orphanage. The life which expects them after the age of 18 or when they graduate high school/ or their high school graduation
• Preparing children for life within a family
• Cooperation/ Unity of action with the Bulgarian Agency for Child Protection towards reintegrating the children in family atmosphere and environment, in accordance with Bulgarian Family Code.
We all work together to ensure we give the children of the Dimcho the very best start in life that is possible.